From:
James Hascall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:44:58 -0800
About three years ago I started investigating fiber optic lighting and
have since done a number of installations in museums and private
collections. In the process I have come to know the variety of products
on the market and their varying degrees of suitability for exhibit
lighting, and the great range of cost involved in their usage. Overall,
my opinion has been that this was an immature technology for this
purpose, with most of the designers attentions being given to star
ceilings and flashy decorative effects. However, over the past year or
so there has been a great deal of consolidation in the industry and the
availability and cost of appropriate equipment has gotten much better.

Fiber optics are a great lighting source for certain applications, but
have inherent limitations that make it necessary that their selection
and installation be made part of the design from the beginning of a
project. They are most suited to display case lighting of sensitive
objects where spot illumination of individual objects is important and
heat and UV are concerns. The case design must include a home for the
illuminator and a venue to run the fibers. If these considerations can
be met, fiber optics can offer spectacular and subtle lighting that
makes objects stand out like never before.

>We were not prepared for the high cost of the replacement bulbs, or the
=
frequency with which they need to be replaced. We have also had a couple
=
of bad fuses or ballasts in the illuminator boxes, which we were able to
=
replace, but not in a very timely manner. We also found that we needed =

to add a yellowish filter to half of the lights, to even out the color =

of the light.

In the example cited by Kathy Henri, it is obvious that they purchased
illuminators which utilize metal halide bulbs. I have found these high
powered units to have the inherent problems mentioned and now tend not
to use them because of it as well as their greater initial expense. The
alternative is using Halogen bulbs (MR 16 style) that have a more
predictable color rendering which doesn't change with the age of the
bulb, has no ballast, and costs less initially and to maintain.

A great source of information on fiber optics is the Lighting Research
Center at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. They hold an institute on
fiber optic lighting a couple of times a year which covers the theory
and practice of most of the uses of fiber optics, and they have
equipment from most of the major manufacturers available to work with. I
attended last year and heartily recommend it to any institution looking
to use fiber in their future lighting. They can be reached at
http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/Graded/fiberoptic.htm

If I can answer any further questions or be of assistance in your fiber
optic plans, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Sincerely,

Jamie Hascall
Hascall Museum Services
Seattle, WA
206-352-0728

>We're investigating the use of fiber optic lighting in exhibit cases =
with light-sensitive artifacts.  Has anyone used fiber optics to light =

artifacts?  If so, would you please share the pros & cons of such =
lighting?

Thanks.

Martha Battle Jackson