From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:24:51 +0200
Thanks Mary,

Absolutely true. Mold spreads like wildfire almost no matter what you do.
Any liquid that is not anti-fungal in nature will feed them. The problem is
that most anti-fungal treatments are not particularly good for sensitive
objects or the individuals cleaning them. That is why, assuming you do not
leave such things to a conservator, it should be done outside or optimally
under a good vent hood/ HEPA filtered vaccum table. Good call.

Keep in mind that what I would try on the computer speakers would never
occur to me if it were a collection object. The lysol and alcohol
combination should not feed the mold, although being outside might
introduce new spores. I would also use a much different approach if the
objects were wood, paper, cloth, or any other material than a plastic CD or
comuter speaker.

Cleaning the CDs will be purely experimental, since I have no idea how
microscopic plants will interact with the billions of microscopic grooves
on the surface of the disk. Getting them clean enough to play might also
reduce the readability to the point of failure. Difficult situation to deal
with once you get a bloom, but still worth trying.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             "Mary L. Kirby"
             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]
             discussion list                                            cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject
                                       Re: Cleaning mold off Compact Discs

             09/21/2005 12:48
             PM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Hate to send a discouraging word, but I learned at a Collection Managers
Committee workshop sponsored by the Texas Association of Museums that some
liquids act as food and spread the problem.

I had in the past used lemon oil on my antique cherry desk when I saw a
mold
outbreak in one spot. The species I have appeared to disappear in the
immediate cleaning, just like a Pledge commercial. However, the next time I

left the AC off when traveling out of town in the summer, the mold
reappeared everywhere the cleaning rag went with broad wipe areas of
expansion!!!!

Q-tips and brushes to our amazment spread the mold out also. We could see
puffs of mold dissipate under the microscope as we tried to brush them off.

The recommendation on that occassion was in addition to wearing mask and
gloves for you, vacuum with a good HEPA filter vacuum. We were looking at
old documents, not CDs. However, brushing will spread the spores either
way.

Mary Kirby