From:
"Mark St. John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 13:10:27 EST
In a message dated 1/18/02 6:10:19 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< As I read the comments about "Three White Guys and a Flag" and think about
the events of September 11, I become very concerned.  First, as museum
professionals we are all familiar with the notion of "Artistic License."
This allows the artist to interprete images, events, etc. in a slightly
unique and personal way. >>

Artistic license is really not an issue as I see it.  The original act and
how it is sits in the American (and the world's) mind is the issue here.  The
artist(s) taking on this project are dealing with an image of events that
have not yet been settled, or even sorted out.  Obviously, a very sensitive
subject. What the next paragraph says is much more telling...

<<The symbol of a multi-ethnic group of individuals raising the American flag
is a testament to every American who was affected by the events. >>

Let me identify what I see as some of the perspectives at work here.  Some
people are looking at the imagery of the firemen's flag raising as a matter
of individual heroism, and wish to accurately portray those individuals as
they appear in the photograph.   These individuals were operating under
extremely hazardous conditions, and should be represented as themselves, by
this viewpoint.

There are others who wish to make the flag raising a generalized symbol of
all those affected by Sept 11's events, and therefore a broader spectrum of
Americans should be represented there.  In this viewpoint, all Americans have
been changed, and brought together by the late events, and are appropriately
reflected in the statue's makeup.

My representation probably distills issues of "politically correct" right out
of it,  because I believe that PCness is actually a distinct issue from the
statue.  It always is distinct from the issues it envelopes.  Actual PC and
anti-PC behaviors are knee-jerk reactions, around whatever subject is in
question.   To use a (fairly) safe example,  usage of the word "Mick" for the
Irish, or the "Lucky Charms" leprechaun.  I find both patently offensive, as
an Irish-American.  Both take away from the tremendous contributions Irish
Americans have given to the USA.   I am not going to insult you by saying
that you must drop them from your lexicon because I said so, or that I will
"re-educate" you to do so.   The notion of PCness itself is that I will tell
you what to think, which is a patently offensive idea.   I will ask that you
take a good long look at their usage, however, and out of common decency, not
refer to the Irish as "Micks" (as a side note, you really will piss me off by
using that term.  It's offensive, given how badly the "Micks" were regarded
in the 19th century.)

<<How can we be united as a nation when we continue to be divided about
ideas? >>

It depends on the ideas we're divided about.  Personally, the day that comes
when we are not a marketplace of differing ideas will be the day our republic
is finished.   More important than concurrance is mutual respect for other
opinions, the "agreement to disagree."  When THAT disappears, the
aforementioned marketplace of ideas closes shop, with the ensuing collapse of
Americanism.
People are still arguing, which means Osama and company are still the losers
in all this.   When we cannot argue, he wins.

Nothing profound here, but very telling...

If you ask me by the way, the artist should seriously consider making the
figures non-distinct in their ethnicity.  Each person can see themselves when
they gaze upon the statue, and be inspired to emulate the heroism displayed.
I do also think the names of the men involved should be put on the affixed
placard;  it was their action as individuals that provides this symbol that
inspires us.   While we're at it, more than one monument might be appropriate.

Mark St. John