From:
Pamela Sezgin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 00:23:51 EDT
We use LOCKFAST 's Agam system of portable walls.   They are covered in
Braelock, a fabric that comes in many attractive colors.   The structure
itself is made up of metal frame and the panels slide in and out.  You can
substitute plexiglass instead of fabric covered panels, too.   So, the system
has great flexibility.

We recently had a SITES exhibit with 86 Iris Prints,  "Hearts and Hands:
Musical Instrument Makers of America," debut at the Georgia Mountains History
Museum.    The Lockfast system was economical and expanded our small space,
in a historic fire station, to give us 400 linear feet of wall space for the
show.   We braced some of the system to our  walls, and where that was not
possible, we put
a decorative brace above the system which made it very, very stable.

We used clips and wire to hang the prints and it worked nicely.  They have
other options available, too, for artifact display.   We used the system in
several exhibit rooms in front of existing displays, which made it easy to
convert the downstairs of the museum for this new show, and then, now that it
is finished, to convert back to our old exhibits.

Lockfast's home base is in Cincinnati.   There is probably a distributer in
your area.
They are also used at trade shows.   They had a booth at the recent AAM
meeting
in Baltimore.   You can look in MUSEUM NEWS or the program where the vendors
are listed.  Our sales rep is John Lumsden in Sautee-Nachoochee, Georgia.
He even showed our volunteers how to install the system.

If you want to build your own solution, look in the book from SITES about
installing temporary exhibits.  I don't remember the exact title, but it is
in the AAM's bookstore catalogue  (first published in 1981; revised in 1991).
  Lot's of good diagrams and
instructions for building your own structures.

pamela sezgin
Georgia Mountains History Museum
Gainesville, Georgia