From:
Orycteropus afer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 12:47:12 -0600
You make an excellent point about differentiating between subject
classification and object naming.  This gets confused all of the time and
one sees museums trying to apply the Library of Congress Subject Headings
inappropriately.  Further, there has been very little discussion about
terminology controls in manual systems versus terminology controls in
automated systems.  They tend to be viewed as one in the same and aren't.
Much of what was trying to be achieved in the construction of terminology
lists such as Chenhall, LCSH, etc. was to solve problems rooted in the
physical properties of paper files whereas the problems are very different
in an automated system.

I think within the structure of an ANSI (AMerican National Standards
Institute) thesaurus, you can get pretty close to a universal terminology.
THe AAT certainly supports any number of synonyms for a term which can
include local variations and if the AAT is placed in a thesaurus structure
attached to a database there is no limit on how many local terms can be
added and yet kept distinct from the contents of the AAT.   I look forward
to seeing the work that you have been involved with.  It sounds fascinating.