From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 05:51:48 EST
In a message dated 10/31/99 6:58:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I recently graduated with a Masters in Comm and Multimedia and 2
>  or 3 of my classmates were recruited via internet posted resumes.
>  One was through monster.com and I'm not sure which page the
>  other used.
>
>  So yes, there are some at least who find jobs via the net -- tho' so
>  far I'm not one of them  :-)

There's a big difference in the job world between tech jobs and museums jobs.
 Right now, there aren't enough people who are qualified to fill technical
positions like web design/maintenance, server admins, programmers, database
admins, MCSEs, CNAs, or even people who can do decent help desk.  For them,
monster.com and other on-line bulletin boards are good places to get work and
get high paying work.

In the museum world, it's the exact opposite - there are too many qualified
people for jobs.  I applied to a small museum in North Carolina which was
offering a salary in the low 20s and there were over 100 applicants for the
position.  I bet every advert in ADVISO gets that many applicants as well,
and the vast majority of them are probably over-qualified for the job and the
salary.  Thus you have to do something more besides send in your resume to
get the job or to make yourself stand out from 100+ applicants.

Deb

Museum-L" (without the quotes).