From:
Ted Kessel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 22:08:18 -0400
Hello list!

COSI Columbus is moving from our present location to a new larger location
less than a mile
away, "on the Riverfront," in downtown Columbus, Ohio.

As part of the preparations for our move we have been evaluating our
collections.  Our intention is
to keep only those objects in our collections which we are likely to use or
display in the near future,
and deaccession the rest.

I am the person chosen to be the "Project Registrar" for this task.

One of the collections we can not take with us is our "Elephant Collection"

Don't be alarmed, this collection consists of about 500 elephant figurines,
and a bit of
other artwork, too.  It could easily be displayed in an area like it is
now: 10' X 20' or less,
depending on how densely the figurines are placed together.

Some of these figurines are gemstones and quite valuable, others are glass,
one is made from
jelly beans, etc.

The only mess these elephants make is a bit of dust, which somehow
accumulates around them in their
display cases.

I do not want to break up this set of figurines, as it is a very attractive
collection when viewed all together, and would
be much less interesting to view if there were only 10 instead of 500.

If anyone is interested in giving this collection a new home, e-mail me.  I
can send a few photographs and more
detailed information.

We close our present site in early September, (we open the new one in
Novemeber), so I would like to have a new
home for this collection, soon.

BTW, other parts of the de-accession/return-objects-to-donors process is
going very well: this is the only major group for which
I have not yet been able to find a home.

Thanks,

Ted Kessel
COSI Columbus
Project Registrar