From:
"jerry.symonds" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2012 20:46:20 +0100
Dear Juetian,

There are a number of questions here!

1. What are the pros/ cons of using electronic ledger over handwritten
ledgers? Here are just a few reasons:

* Ease of storage and access.
* Ability to search the records on the basis of predefined criteria.
* Ability to standardise the information held and how it is held.
* Ability to auto generate accession numbers (depending on the system).

2. Use of EXCEL to set up your accession register. Without in any way
wanting to contradict Cristin, I would say that EXCEL would only suffice
for the more basic accession register - unless you are an advanced EXCEL
user!

* EXCEL does provide quite powerful search facilities, but unless you
are skilled at writing the formulae, I would suggest you go for one of
the many Collections Management databases out there and make sure it
offers the facility to search on selected criteria, without you having
to write the formulae!

* I would hope that any off the shelf CM database worth its salt should
auto-generate unique accession numbers, which is one of your
requirements: a manual system will rely on the user to keep control
which is error prone.

* As Cristin says, you can password protect files in EXCEL, but if once
you progress to a decent CM database, you should have access to a more
sophisticated access control system, so you can more precisely control
who has access to which records, who can update, who can view only, etc.

* Do you wish to attach images to your records? If so, then computer
based system are ideal for this as you can attach digital images with
relative ease.

* At the most basic level a computer system offer you the facility to
back up records with comparative ease, compared with having to photocopy
(?) manual records!

I appreciate that the observations above are generalisations and that
advanced EXCEL users can work miracles, but as you ask general
questions, I hope these thoughts are of some use!

Regards.

Jerry