From:
"Brian A. Padol" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 22:17:42 -0500
On Dec 14, 1995 00:16:14 in article <Re: Copyright and images on the web>,
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>This is only right with whole and complete works. But what about
publishing an
>idea that is more or less complete and you just whant to wait for somebody
>answer or just adding something to your questions?

if you mean *you* [the creator] want to publish part of a work, just
remember that what you 'publish' *is* the work, at that point in time. if
it is, say, a text, it is copyright protected from the instant you
write/type/input the first letter; similarly for other media. picasso's
_guernica_ is incomplete but still is protected. so was joyce's _finnegan's
wake_ at each point in time when he published a part. but....

>What about people copying
>parts of a text not only for using it for themselves?

someone may quote, without permission but, i *believe* with credit, very
small -- two or three sentences/lines -- within a larger work. in certain
media for certain purposes, such as newspapers, newscasts, etc., no
permission is needed.

>The net is just missing a
>non public part where you really can get into a discussion with other
people.
>All you can do on the net is only public and so your copyrights are public
too
>because you will never be able to follow the traps of the data you gave to
the
>net.

i assume -- perhaps incorrectly -- that one can quote and copy at length in
private mail and other forms of private communication. following that
concept, my provider has its own local newsgroups/sigs [special interest
groups] -- as i think other providers do -- which are not open to or
'visitable' by those using other providers, and i would think that, as a
form of private communications, one could copy and share copyrighted works.
i think the web is too public for that, but i also think newsgroups/lists
such as this one are in a very gray area in which it is better not to do
anything which could be construed as infringement until some regulartory
body offers a ruling.

--
Brian A Padol, RECAP: Publications, Inc.
[log in to unmask] <=> [log in to unmask] <=> http://www.inch.com/~rpi/

http://www.users.nyc.pipeline.com/~rpi/

Book publishers, producers, and agents. If you have a book or book idea or
need advice or help with a book project or DTP, or just want to email or
chat, let me know.