From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:32:38 -0700
First off, why don't we all take a break and remind ourselves that we are all
against the damage done by careless skateboarders and not the skateboarders
themselves. Obviously this is a major issue for people and facilities and the
purpose of this list is to find constructive solutions to these sorts of
problems. (And I'd argue that a secondary purpose is to also vent frustration
and get group support so you don't feel like you are the only one with a
particular problem. :)

> Yes, it can be destructive, but it's not INTENTIONALLY destructive.  These
> are *kids* and they are *playing*.  Please try to remember that.

Given what some people have posted on this list, I'd have to disagree with that
statement. While I think the majority of kids just don't realise what damage
they are doing, it seems like people have seen kids deliberately skate to cause
damage as in the case of getting the skate park built.

Kids will play but like any other activity, I think all of us expect kids to
STOP when they are told and especially if signs are posted. If kids are told
and/or there are signs posted and they persist with skating, then it ceases to
be "playing" and then turns into "disobeying". This is the problem that people
are having with skateboarders.

Sometimes all it takes is showing the kids the damage that skateboarding causes
and they will move elsewhere. But kids, especially in the teen-age years, don't
take anything to heart unless it directly affects them. Thus you are left with
little other recourse than to call their parents (if you can find that out)
and/or calling the authorities.

Perhaps this is an issue that museums and schools could attack together. Create
a partner program with schools and museums to build a skate park for the kids.
The schools could coordinate getting kids to help build it and do skateboard
education classes and the museums could supervise the construction and
decoration of the place. Perhaps students could volunteer at local businesses
in exchange for building materials. Students could also work on documenting the
project and work with the museum to make an exhibit of it at their school or
new skate park.

But I think the key is getting the kids involved in the solution. Barring this,
your only other recourse is calling the authorities which will probably make
the situation worse over time.

Deb