From:
"Scott A. Wright" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 09:14:51 -0700
At my previous position at the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum (www.cspm.org) we undertook a project to publish the collection database online to improve public access which involved the use of digital images from a camera and from scans. The camera was used to capture images of the
three-dimensional objects during registration.  Additionally we developed a procedure to scan two-dimensional works in the Archival Collection at the Starsmore Center for Local History, including glass-plate negatives, ephemera, and so on.

In order to maintain quality and consistency we developed digital scanning procedures by examining what the National Archives was doing and by conferring with the Denver Public Library which has a large digitization project underway.  Here is the meat of those standards:

*RESOLUTION: All items are scanned at 300 DPI
*SIZE: images are scaled so that the longest dimension is 10 inches; the other dimension is allowed to fall where it may proportionately.  This is analogous to having full-frame 8”x10” prints made regardless of the size of the original.
*IMAGE DEPTH: black and white images are scanned at 8 bits, the standard for rendering greyscale images in 256 shades of grey.  Color images are scanned at 24 bits which is considered the minimum for rendering “true color.”
*FILE TYPE: TIF files are created in standard byte order. This format saves a tremendous amount of data and has been the press industry's standard for a long time due to image quality.  These images are archived and also parsed down into JPG files which are stored by the collection database
and for ease of delivery on the web.  JPG files are a  web-standard compressed file format which are substantially smaller with relatively good image quality.
*STORAGE: The hi-res TIF files are archived onto CDs using an over-the-counter CD ROM burner.  This medium is very stabile, inexpensive, and considered archival.  Images 10 inches long scanned at 300 DPI are quite large, especially if they are color, somewhere around 20-25 megabytes.  A CD
will store about 625 megabytes (after formatting) which enables storage of about 30 images per CD on average at a cost of about $1.00 per disc. The JPG files were parsed down and optimized to about 20 kilobytes each and actually embedded in database and on the web server.

I am pleased to tell you that the Roswell Museum and Art Center is undertaking an initiative to digitize 23 volumes of Dr. Robert Goddard’s notes created in his development of liquid-fueled rockets. Additionally, steps are being taken to begin digital imaging of our collection.

Though not a member of the list, please send an email if I can lend any additional advice.

Scott
--
Scott A. Wright, Registrar
Roswell Museum & Art Center