From:
"Schroder, Leah" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:36:30 -0500
Thank you for raising this important topic.

TTY/TDD phones are the most preferable form of telephone communication for
people who are deaf or hard of hearing. Relay operators are primarily to
facilitate a phone conversation between a deaf and a hearing person. A relay
operator acts as an "interpreter" between the two parties.

Most importantly, you need to refer to your state and federal Americans with
Disabilities Act regulations. Every state has an ADA hotline that can answer
your questions regarding accessibility requirements. You may be required to
keep a TTY number at your museum.

Best wishes,
Leah

Leah C. Schroder, Assistant Educator
Programs for Visitors with Disabilities and Special Needs
The Museum of Modern Art
11 West 53rd Street
New York, NY 10019
212.708.9864