From:
NyRanger4 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 22:03:11 -0400
Hi Gary.  I am an intern in the educational department at the Wadsworth
Atheneum in Hartford, CT.  I have been working for the past month on a
docent recruitment brochure.  I have contacted numerous institutions about
their docent training programs.  Speaking for the Wadsworth, I have the
following information.  The training sessions for docents meet every
Wednesday from 9:30-11:30 AM.  They last for a total of 65 hours which to
my knowledge is about a year.  The sessions consist of art history, tour
techniques, and general museum information.  After the training sessions
are over, each person is required to spend another year shadowing a senior
docent.  It is meant to give experience as well as confidence.  Once a
docent, they are required to give two tours one day a week between
Sept-early June for full time docents, and two tours a day of each month
for part time docents.  They are also required to take weekly classes on
new exhibitions and various tour techniques.  We have a large docent
program numbering almost 70 people.  It is well organized and we have a
good docent council.
     Speaking from what I have seen from other museums, training sessions
generally last about 12-15 weeks.  I haven't seen any less than 12.  I
hope this information helps.  If you have further questions, feel free to
e-mail me.  Good luck.

Arthur Fleischmann
Wadsworth Atheneum
Education Intern