From:
Timothy McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 13:09:08 -0600
I agree with Fiona; you should record all information that will help you
get the most use out of your photographic resources.

In a previous job (I don't get to work with photos here--we've got an
archivist that does that), I would record ethnicity whenever it seemed
relevant to do so--for example, a 1960s group fishing retreat that had
an Ojibway guide.  Guiding like that had been part of the local Ojibway
culture since tourists started coming to the area in the 1880s, and was
in part a continuation of their earlier cultural practices.  Now, if the
group of fishermen had included an Asian man, I likely would not have
recorded that, as by the 1960s tourists were coming to the area from all
over the world, and the ethnicity of the tourists was of minimal
importance compared to being able to locate a photograph of an Ojibway
guide.  On the other hand, Asian workers made extraordinary
contributions to building railroads in the area; if I had a photo of a
railway gang that included Asians, I certainly would have  identified
them as such.

I don't know how your controlled vocabulary lists will affect your
ability to record ethnicity, but if that and gendre are important to the
interpretive themes of your material, by all means it should be
recorded.

Tim McShane, Assistant--Cultural History
Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery
1302 Bomford Crescent S.W.
Medicine Hat, AB   T1A 5E6
(403) 502-8587

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/18/02 12:21PM >>>
Hi Lynnea. Form my anthropological view, the politically correct term
is
"ethnicity" not race. We are the human race made up of ethnicities.

As far as categorizing the pictures, there is no harm in categorizing
by
ethnicity and by groups. I suggest doing what you think works best for
your
organization. Hope this helps.

Best,
Fiona Adams