From:
Laura Vookles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:25:27 -0400
This may not be what you mean, but we had an interesting temporary exhibition/program, funded by NYSCA as part of a special initiative to have contemporary artists respond to historical collections.  Composer John Morton worked with our 19th-century music box and the diaries of Emily Trevor, who lived our Glenview Mansion, to create an approximately 10 minute original compostion which integrated the actual playing of the music box with a MAC based composition program, including music box sounds and voice over from the diaries (much of what she writes about in the diaries is attending the opera and the music box selections included opera tunes).  We enjoyed the collaboration immensely, though because of the computer (part of the aesthetics of the piece was to have it visible) and the contemporary nature of the music, it probably isn't something we would do on a permanent basis in the period rooms.  The piece was played a few times a day on the weekends throughout the summer.  Running it required the interaction of an intern.