Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 1994 22:01:38 -0500
I just have to throw my gloves down on this one...  (I'm feeling a bit
testy today as I have just finished managing the rigging and reinstallation
of a huge sculpture which entailed the laying of a new sidewalk (and I
could tell you about the whole nine yards)  when I should have been (and
would rather have been) doing an international exhibition budget.

> At least in my experience, a Curator of Collections does vastly more
>than 'just' registration of incoming artifacts, record-keeping of loans, etc.

Chris, your experience must be limited with respect to registration.  Its
an awful lot more than "'just' registration of incoming artifacts,
record-keeping of loans, etc."  (even with the "etc.").

I would rather not be called a Curator of Collections.   Registrars, in my
experience, handle incoming loans, outgoing loans, exhibitions, storage,
pest control, collection security, insurance, computer systems,
accessioning, deaccessioning, all legal matters concerning the objects,
have to be aware of national and international laws, art handling, object
tracking, installation, packing, shipping by air, truck, courier, etc., we
handle contractors, interns, budgets, we call donors and thank them for
donations, we give lectures to volunteers, museum studies courses,
trustees. We write policies and procedures. I'm even a licensed forklift
operator (job related).   And yeah, we take out the garbage and water the
plants sometimes.

I'd love to hear Janice Klein throw her hat into this ring - Janice if
you're out there, whaddya say?  Would you want to be called a Curator of
Collections?  You  have a slightly different perspective than mine.

Suzanne Quigley
Head Registrar
Detroit Institute of Arts