From:
Greta Ham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:12:27 -0400
On Aug 4, 2005, at 5:43 PM, Raquel Pontet wrote:

> I am visiting Athens por first time on September just for four days.
> My main
> interest is to know the Acropolis. I think I will have enough time to
> visit
> other sites and museums.
> Could some on the list recommend me what places must not miss in my
> list?
> I visited Internet sites and found more than 200 museums, could someone
> recommend me less than six?

If you are mainly interested in the Acropolis, the Acropolis Study
Centre (not actually on the Acropolis but near by) may be worth a visit
-- nice models of various historical stages, photos, etc.

During the summer, there are many performances worth seeing, some in
the Herodes Atticus odeion on the slope of the Acropolis, others in the
Theater at Epidauros (with bus trips down for the performances).  It is
worth checking for tickets to a performance.
(http://www.athensinfoguide.com/hellenicfestival.htm)

The Agora (just below the Acropolis) is worth visiting and has a nice,
small museum in a reconstructed stoa.

The Kerameikos, not far from the Agora and Acropolis is the classical
cemetery  just outside of the ancient walls.  Nice site w/good museum.

[The 1st National cemetery is the modern counterpart, but also can be
an interesting visit -- be sure not to miss Schielmann's tomb.  Other
prominent artists, archaeologists, etc. have monuments there as well.]

For post-classical Greece, the Benaki is not to be missed.

The National Museum has an amazing collection.

The Plaka -- the area around the Acropolis/Agora, while a terrible
tourist trap, is worth walking around as it is all that remains of the
19th cent. city.  Nice classical revival architecture.

Aegina is a beautiful island just off the coast if you have time for a
day trip -- 45 min. by fast boat/1.5hr by ferry.  Great temple of
Aiphaia, great pistachios, and a nice trip out of the city (oh, an
beaches).  Aegina town is very picturesque.

In Athens, Mt. Lykavettos has a nice view of the city (no antiquities).
One can walk up the steps or take a tram to the top.

Be sure to take the new metro -- not only for a cool quick way to get
around, but in some stations they have set up nice displays of what
they discovered during the excavations for the tunnels.

Kalo Taxidi/Bon Voyage,
Greta