From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:21:26 -0400
A good storytelling can be wonderfully entertaining and special, if you
choose well, depending on the region in which you live.  I agree that slide
shows don't do it except they help your older volunteers get a bit of a nap.

In my experience, volunteers don't really "expect" to be recognized but
having them together socially is a healthy experience, especially for some
of those whose lives are a bit lonely and who don't have much of a social
life.  For not much money, we once had some tote bags made up silk-screened
with the museum's logo, just for them, and most of them still proudly carry
them around.  Last year a volunteer blacksmith made each one a small
candlestick as a gift; we paid only for the steel rods used to make them.