From:
Elaine Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 09:25:16 -0800
I do not know if the question has been answered fully yet, however, distance learning has its advantages and disadvantages.

The definite advantage is having access to information that normally would not be attainable due to distance or convenience.  In universities, distance learning has been structured with the hard sciences in mind (math, biology, etc.)  The soft sciences (English, Women's Studies, etc) require more of a conversation-based environment which most instructors like to see their students instead of distantly communicating with them.

The disadvantage is readily hand-on experience with the material, artifacts, etc.   Reading and viewing a Civil War sword over the Internet does not, and cannot replace the actual item.  Distance Learning also cannot replace the ability to understand the person's receptiveness of the material.  Type cannot tell the instructor the tone of voice, whether the student is understanding the material, has any immediate questions or other such.

The only way to truly understand distance learning is to try it out for yourself.  You may connect in a way someone else has not been able to, or you may not like the experience.  Personally, I found that I could fit it better into my busy schedule.

Elaine Green