From:
Joshua Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 1994 21:34:51 -0500
On Dec 20,  8:18am, Amy Douglass wrote:

> I have to take strong exception to Robert A. Baron's response to the
> message from Turkey regarding the Bergoman Temple.  To compare the
> illegal looting and exportation of archaeological materials from their
> country of origin to Picasso's paintings is a completely inappropriate
> analogy in my view.  Picasso was a professional artist who was in the
> business of selling his paintings.  I doubt seriously he had any qualms
> about his works leaving his native country, as long as they were paid
> for.  Illegal looting not only removes cultural patrimony but it is
> extremely destructive to what is left behind.
>
> Every nation, in my view, has a right to preserve its own cultural
> patrimony regardless of whether that heritage bears a direct link to
> the population currently residing in that country.
>
> Amy A. Douglass
> Tempe Historical Museum

I think this is an interesting stance to take.  One country should not
illegally appropriate archaeological artifacts from other countries.  Fair
enough, but a more valid art example than that of Picasso (who after all sold
his paintings) would be the art in the former Soviet Union: art by Soviet and
international artists.  There, the museums and art galleries are collapsing,
not capable of taking care of the paintings.  They are cracking...some of the
world's richest cultural treasures.  Should the ex-Soviets not do "the
honourable thing" and sell/give those works to other countries?

Should Germany return the artifacts from the Near Eastern countries even if
that means they may not be kept properly, to avoid destruction or damage
because of the lower standards of care in museums?  Can Turkey care for its
past, present and future?

Joshua Heuman