From:
Richard Fields <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:01:11 -0500
My first thought is for you to consult with a petro-chemist to see if
oil breaks down.  If it doesn't, and still protects the machinery, why
mess with a good thing.  That said, I know oil settles, and the
equipment may seize anyway.  You did not say what type of machinery, so
I am taking a broad stab here.  I have worked or dealt with several
historic mining properties.  What one group thinks will never be run
again may change in the future.  At the Quincy Mine Hoist  in Hancock,
MI they have the worlds largest steam hoist.  It would be great to see
run, but can not because of cost to replace lost or seized items.  Here
at the Soudan mine, everything was kept in working order when it closed,
and we are able to offer our tours ½ mile underground because of that
foresight.  Yet we too have some items we can't run, our crusher, our
larry cars, etc.

In a nut shell, even if you plan to not run the item, if you can keep
it in operating order, or at least mothball it in a way so it may be
later operated, it will be appreciated down the road.

Richard A. Fields
Mine Interpretive Supervisor
Soudan Underground Mine State Park
P.O. Box 335
Soudan, MN 55782
(218) 753-2245/ Fax 2246

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/parks_and_recreation/state_parks/soudan_underground_mine/index.html

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/12/02 12:49PM >>>
Hello, all,

I have a question about 60-year-old+ oil in machinery.  The questions
deals
specifically with machinery at the Kennecott Mine in Alaska.  There are
no
plans to ever run the machinery again, but the question is whether to
drain
the oil and replace it with synthetic, drain the oil and leave the
machinery empty (not my choice because I think the parts would rust
immediately in the climate here), or leave it alone.  There's not a
problem
with leakage or containment at this point because all of the machinery
have
catch basins underneath.  It's not an environmental issue at the
moment,
but a preservation one.  Has anyone had any experience with this sort
of
thing?

Thanks,
Amy.

Amy Marshall
Curator
Wrangell-St. Elias National Park/Preserve

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).