From:
Jill Keehner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 07:55:01 -0500
Karla:

If you want to work with artifacts or exhibition, then your best bet may be a degree in Museum Studies.  Archivists tend to work with documents, but collections managers or museum curators tend to work with a wider variety of material including some paper (depends on whether the institution you are working for has a separate repository for documents).

As a curator for a large history museum, I get to work with objects as well as some paper material.  However, the bulk of our documents are kept in the library collections.

My background:

BA  Anthropology/ Museum Studies, Beloit College
MA  Museum Studies, University of Kansas
MA   Sociocultural Anthropology, University of Kansas

By the way, I agree with the comment about getting a Ph.D... This field will never be able to pay you what you would spend on that much education (unless you happen to land a job in upper management!).

Good luck!

Jill Keehner

Jill Keehner
Curator
Kansas State Historical Society
6425 SW 6th Avenue
Topeka, Kansas 66615-1099
(785) 272-8681  ext. 425

>>> Karla Strand <[log in to unmask]> 05/18/02 02:31PM >>>
Hi,

Sorry but I thought of more questions... where does preservation or work with artifacts come into play?  I mean with respect to our discussion about library science/archivist work.  Does an archivist only work with books, letters, etc or with artifacts and such also?  I guess I am wondering if you have your MLS would you be marketable to a variety of workplaces (museums, libraries, historical sites, etc, which it seems like you would) and be able to work with artifacts as well as printed material?  Or in an area of preservation?  Are you all sick of me yet???    LOL  Hope not.

Karla

"Good luck, boy, take it easy, but take it."
               *~*Woody Guthrie*~*