From:
Laura Petznick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:31:47 -0500
COPYRIGHT AND THE INTERNET

In reference to John Martinson's inquiry, I may be able to cast ome light on
the subject (other than the AAm site). It just so happens that I attended a
joint KAM/TAM conference last week in Nashville. The subject of copyright
and the internet was discussed.Please find below some of the main points:

1) When in doubt, ALWAYS check whether an item to be reproduced is protected
by a copyright and seek the owner's permission. Even if the item is not
copyrighted, I would still recommend seeking permission as a courtesy
(particularly in reference to photographing items or buildings in public
collections).

2) If reproducing an image on the Internet, there are some options to
prohibit the unauthorized duplication of objects in your collection:
watermarks and only scanning images at 75dpi or less. When a web page with
images scanned at 75dpi or less is printed, the image will be blurred.

3) Fair use is not a clearly defined legal term. Just because a museum may
be using illustrations or text for educational purposes that does not mean
that copyright is not being infringed. This issue is continually being
reexamined by the Supreme Court and the Circuit courts. Consequently, when
in doubt, get permission!

I hope that this is of use.

Laura Petznick, Ph.D.
Currently seeking museum position