From:
Patrick Brennan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 1995 10:52:37 -0400

> Posted to :     H-Net Military History Discussion List
> Date: Thu, 13 Jul 95 08:41:54 EST
> From: "Cronin, Clare C." <ccronin%ushmm.org>
>
> >  The Enola Gay controversy reflects an ongoing
> >        discussion in the museum community today, which is
> >        the role museums can/should/would play as
> >        educators.  Some believe that museums should
> >        merely display collections and let audiences draw
> >        their own conclusions, others believe that objects
> >        must be interpreted.  Traditionally, museums are
> >        not regarded as being "academic," and I would be
> >        interested in hearing opinions on the
> >        can/should/would question.
>
> I've always thought that history and science museums should interpret the
> exhibits they display.  Without interpretation, the gallery becomes a room
> full of antiques (minerals, etc.) gathered in one place.  I can see how art
> in museums can stand on their own, though it's always nice to learn about the
> artists. Or historic homes and arboritums can be appreciated just by being
> there.  But with the Air and Space Museum - just a gathering of old aircraft
> without any explanation?  How DO others feel about this?
>
> Deb Baroff, Museum of the Great Plains  Lawton  OK

Several articles have been published on this topic.  Lets begin by saying
that the audience that visits our museums are interested in both
interpretive and open storage displays.

Interpretive displays with didacts are very tricky.  Before we even address
the content there is the questions of type size, style and spacing.  The
area where several of us fail is in the amount of copy.  Some curators feel 50
words is to much for a topic label.  Others want to give the visitor all the
research available on the topic/object.  If we agree with material culture histo
rians
that there are 9 ways to view any artifact that can constitute a lot of
label copy.

Some institutions use a team approach in exhibit design to balance out the
curatoral, conservation, design, security, maintenance and education issues
that need to be addressed in presentation of exhibitions.  Smaller
institutions can use interpreters to complement the installation.
Interpreters, properly trained, can take the information in the exhibition
and develop a tour that addresses the needs of the audience.

--

T.Patrick Brennan
Director, Historic Houses