From:
John Chadwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 06:51:42 -0700
list, it is necessary to review a few unwritten rules governing
attachments.

First, it is never a good idea to send an attachment to the list.
Not all people can open a Word document.  Depending upon the type of
e-mail software, the attachment comes across as gibberish.

Second reason for not sending attachments is that some people must
pay for connect time by the minute.  Attachments can drive up the
cost of connecting for our friends in foreign countries.

For those connecting via a modem, even a 100K attachment can hang up
their system.

virus detection software. Norton and McAfee both should provide
updates to detect current viruses.

Finally, I have utilized a new feature of Listserv that blocks ALL
attachments from being posted to the list.  This means that if you
post an attachment to the list, it will be rejected and returned to
you.  HTML attachments should get through okay, but I do not know
about the "business cards" aka Vcards that are attached by Netscape.
If this proves to be a problem, you can turn off Vcards by going to
the preferences menu,  select mail and news, select identity, and
deselect Vcards.

John Chadwick