From:
Janis Wilkens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 1996 10:43:00 -0700
Nicole Basso wrote:

> There has been much talk about web sites on the list these days.  I work at a
> medical museum in Iowa City and would like to start a web page for it.  I was
> wondering if anyone might have some advice about how to begin this process.

We started by figuring out what we want the site to do--who the audience is,
what kind of information we want to disseminate, how to get it done and
estimated cost.  Although we have not followed our plan exactly, and the site
(http://www.cetlink.net/commercial/myco/mycohome.html) is still pretty
minimal, it was extremely useful to have gone through that process.

A written plan based on the above research gives you something to show your
administration/board, potential funders, and prospective service providers
(if used) so they can get a clear idea of what you have in mind and how much
it is likely to cost.  It also becomes a useful guide as you develop the
site.

--
Janis Wilkens, Curator of Collections/Interim Assoc. Director
Museum of York County, 4621 Mount Gallant Road