From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:54:30 -0800
Variations on Heather-Marie's story I have seen happen many times.

I'm happy to hear at least one person get away from the bashing and the
assumptions of bad things and talk about appropriate ways to pass on an
artifact to a better 'home'. Let's focus on the good intent of the unknown
museum person who tried to get something to the place that it is significant
to.... (The recipient did say that the item was significant to his area).

Granted the lack of communication wasn't appropriate, and the mold and the
bugs were a nasty surprise (but probably unintentional) and might lead the
recipient museum to decide not to keep it, but at least someone put out the
effort to get something historically significant to the right place instead
of letting it go to a dumpster or thrift shop.  Somehow I thought that it's
part of our responsibility as heritage resource managers.... to think not
only of the good of one's own institution, but to try to do right by the
historic resources of our whole country.

I would hate to have this spate of negative reaction from Museum-Lers lead
one of you listening to assume that helping get items you don't want to an
appropriate museum is a bad thing to do and thus send to the dump something
that should be saved.

But, let's hear it for doing it right: the importance of contacting the
potential recipient museum ahead, not send infected things, and providing as
much information as possible. Certainly if it were a deaccession it involves
additional paperwork, but my experience is that these things more often turn
up in the course of a donation that the museum isn't going to accept.  And
the would-be donors are, indeed, as grateful as Heather-Marie has stated. It
is very good way to make your constituents feel good about your museum even
when you have to reject their proffered donations.