From:
Susan Hazan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 13:57:38 +0200
In the recent issue of issue of 'Museum News', January/February, the
question was asked of a panel of experts "What qualities make for an
outstanding museum web site". It was a pleasure to see this question so
well answered. It is apparent that museums are aware of the special role
that they play in developing their web sites, that not only reflect their
intitutions content and functions but also incorporate the aesthetics of a
museum environment.

I would like to hear from MUSEUM-L folk a little about the visitors that
find their way onto our sites, (via guest book responses, on-line surveys
etc.), for example if they represent a typical cross-section of the global
net public and if it could be possible to define some sort of profile of
the typical museum virtual visitor who may (or may not) differ from the
typical surfer.

Tricia Downs also asks:
I am very interested in these questions you raise. I feel this area of
evaluation of audiences is a real growth area. I have a feeling that
on-line visitors are different from actual site visitors. Just a feeling
but would like to know what museums with optional surveys and return emails
are finding.

Susan Hazan and Tricia Downs

Tricia Downs from Museums Australia
email < [log in to unmask] >

Susan Hazan
The Israel Museum, Jerusalem
http://imj.org.il

Susan Hazan                                   Tel:   972  2 6708066
Head of Multimedia Education Unit             Fax:   972  2 6708077
The Ruth Youth Wing
The Israel Museum, Jerusalem                  Mobile:972  50 442323
www.imj.org.il
                http://www.netvision.net.il/php/shazan