From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:27:23 -0400
When I managed a museum conservation  lab we always removed numbers, performed our treatments, and then applied new numbers. I used a 10% B-72 in acetone base coat - let it cure for an hour (the curing time depends on temperature, Relative humidity, and air circulation) and applied the number with artists watercolor paint. We used white paint for darker obje3cts and red paint or black for light objects. The water-based paints had the advantage of not smearing after drying and being eminently reversible. I have also seen objects scratched because someone using a pen and pushed the nib down too hard when applying a number.

You should use a water soluable ink or paint for your numbering on a B-72 base coat. Then the smearing issue will disappear.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator