From:
Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:40:00 -0500
We've had a sticky situation here in the recent past regarding purchases for
the collection.  We actually have a potential purchase at the moment that's
a bit of an issue, so I hope someone has some input.
We are offered, from time to time, manuscripts or objects by dealers.  Our
collections committee has been insistent on two things -- provenance (good,
yes of course, but not always possible) and an appraisal by a professional
other than the dealer.  The material we are considering is often VERY VERY
obscure...we may be the only repository in the world who would even be
interested.   Often, there are simply not qualified appraisers.  The dealers
(and in the case of the manuscript in question) are most often well
established firms with solid reputations.  We, of course, want to get the
best price but do not want to be ridiculous. Insisting on an outside
appraisal seems a bit -- I don't know, tactless -- when you're working with
a dealer who was been in business 200 years! Or even someone with an
excellent national reputation in the U.S.
Oddly, the committee will purchase at auction, using my judgement and a
committee member's...yet is insistent on an appraisal from a dealer, as if
they are trying to cheat us.  I see their point, to an extent, but how far
can you go with this -- especially when the material is obscure?
Feel free to answer off list.  Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Candace Perry
Schwenkfelder Library & Heritage Center