From:
Steve Polta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 11:21:16 -0800
My experience with mission statements and their creation has been through my involvement with a small non-profit arts exhibiting org which has never had more than three staff (San Francisco Cinematheque—we curate and present experimental film screenings). Keep this in mind as you read.

In my experience, mission statements are created by boards and staff, with possible participation from advisory boards or other bodies of representative stakeholders (this latter may not be relevant, depending on your org).

It usually emerges from a brainstorming process, perhaps guided by an outside mediator. Participants discuss what it is the org does and collaboratively create a statement succinctly describing it. The collaborative nature of the process keeps individual biases or misunderstandings from contributing to mis-stated mission statements.

A mission statement's primary function is to concisely describe what the org does, or what its goals are, in broad, unrestrictive terms. Funding bodies like to see them. For this reason the should be kind of broad (the mission of my org is not to "screen films" but to raise the profile of the work we exhibit——this broadness allows us to create publications and maintain an archives).

I can certainly understand Mr. Fields' distaste for mission statements. If an org's operations to not conform to the mission statement (i.e. you say one thing and do another), as is not unexpected in dysfunctional organizations, staff morale would certainly suffer.

Some thoughts, from one who is proud of his org's mission (and its statement).

——steve polta
——artistic director/archivist
——san francisco cinematheque