From:
Dennis Lloyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 1996 11:36:36 GMT
Susan Wilkerson ([log in to unmask]) writes:
> sale of art and natural history, or is that just my imagination?  Does the
> sale of one's subject matter in the gift shop cloud the line between going
> to the mall and going to a museum?  On a practical note, might that type of
> merchandise make donors think that if they give the museum family mementos
> we might move the items out at clearance prices?

My main concern is with your last point, Susan---an ethical one.  Selling
items *from* the collection is unethical, therefore, the museum should
neither *sell* artifacts, nor *appear* to sell artifacts.  If I include
items in the gift shop that too closely resemble items in the collection,
I risk creating the *appearance* that I am selling off the collection.
Make sure the customers (and potential donors) clearly understand that the
items are reproductions, or otherwise not from the museum's collection.
        Dennis Lloyd.
        Algonquin College
        Museum Technology Program
        Nepean, Ontario, Canada