From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 14:27:32 -0600
Chris wrote:

> Dear Sir,
> I am a security professional speciallizing in the executive protection and
> art transportation world. I think you might want to take a very close look
> at what you are even suggesting. There are ramifications not only from a
> civil point of view, but you may find the benificiaries of your museum less
> then optomistic about implementing such a program. I can guarentee your
> security staff will go ballistic, and your insurance company premiums will
> sky rocket-if you can still get insurance-. Also, you will find lending
> institutions reluctant to release their traveling exhibits to your
> facility.
> To make a long story shorter-you should probably drop the idea, and find
> another avenue to persue.
>
> Chris Simovich
> Ronin Services Interational
>
> David Driscoll <[log in to unmask]> wrote in article
> > For a possible session at next year's Midwest Museums Conference annual
> > meeting, I would like to hear from anyone with experience using any kind
> > of prison labor (community service, work release, adults, juveniles,
> > etc.) in museum operations.  I am curious about how extensive the
> > practice currently is, what applications it is notably effective or
> > ineffective at, and whether--given current trends in both museum funding
> > and in the costs of correctional systems--prison labor may become more
> > common in the years ahead.  Please reply either directly or through the
> > list.

Bull Corn!

Too general a statement.  A report will be coming from us shortly on the
extent to which we utilize both prisoners and community service
volunteers to accomplish far more than we could otherwise do.  My
curator just told me that we logged over 2000 hours of community service
volunteer work last year.  That's just short of a full-time employee.

More to come later.

Bob Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum