From:
Tomas Unosson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 13:07:01 +0100
Hello!
We are two students at the university of Linkoping in Sweden, writing two
essays for our county-museum. Outside town there's an area (about 7*3 km)
with lot's of archeological findings that the museum wants to show to the
public. Our task in the project is to evaluate the possibilities of using
IT for this. Our idea is that the visitors with a little computer in their
hand walk along a marked woodland path while a GPS-coordinator locates
their position in realtion to the objects (graves, old roads, etc). They
are guided via the computer by text, pictures and animated sequences and
hopefully also sound.

We are studying a course called "Information and Media-science" at the The
Department of Computer and Information Science. It combines the knowledge
about old information-resources (museums, libraries, etc) with the use of
new ones (internet, tv, etc).

One of the essays focuses on the technical bit of the project. What
equipment should be used? What problems may arise?

The other one focuses on user related problems. How has projects of this
type worked out earlier?

Our question to you is: Is there anyone out there who has worked with
similar projects? What are your experiences? Have you got any tips, ideas?
Anything, whatsoever is gratefully appreciated.

the best of regards,
Jenny Alarik ([log in to unmask]) & Tomas Unosson

ps. please respond "off-list" since neither of us is a member of the
museum-list.