From:
Kyle McQuilkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 16:42:24 -0600
Vanda,

Some additional thoughts on the subject.  Since one reader identified the
plates as photograveur, I may be able to suggest some simple processes by
which you can make some preliminary prints. This may help you choose the
ones that you would like to exhibit.

First, determine whether the plates are etchings or relief plates.  In an
etching, the image is held in the recessed lines.  For example, any lines
that define letters or outlines will be relatively deeply etched into the
surface of the plate.  There may still be ink in these recesses, and the
lines may still be black.

In a relief plate, the image will be in the surface lines.  Letters and
outlines will be raised surfaces rather than recessed.

If they are etchings, then you will need an etching press to transfer the
image.  In which case, you will need access to a printmaking lab.

However, if the plates are relief, you can pull prints yourself.  You
simply roll ink over the plate with a brayer (rubber roller).  Water-based
ink and brayers are available at any art store at modest cost.  The
advantage would be that the water-based ink could be easily cleaned from
the plate after printing.  Application with the brayer assures that the ink
stays on the surface rather that getting down into the recessed areas.

A piece of paper, preferably cotton bond, is then laid on top of the inked
block.  You then simply rub the back of the paper with a wooden spoon to
transfer the image from the block to the paper.  The Japanese, ancient
masters of relief printing, have used a similar process for centuries.

After you have selected the images that you want to exhibit, you may want
to consult a printmaking studio to pull the final images.  They will have
better quality ink, brayers, and paper.  They can also use a litho press to
pull a higher quality print.

However, with a little practice, you may be satisfied with your own results.

Let me know if I can help.  My undergrad was in art, and I had many hours
of printmaking.  I particularly enjoyed relief prints, and I preferred
using a spoon to using a litho press.  I also taught art to middle school
students, and if 6th graders can pull a print, you certainly can.

Regards,

Kyle McQuilkin
Paleontology
Museum of Texas Tech