From:
Mike Teskey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 06:13:58 -0700
On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Sarah Rooker wrote:

> We are doing a program on Heritage Tourism this spring and are looking
> for a speaker.  WE would like the talk to be something about "putting
> the history into heritage tourism."  In other words, a talk that
> discusses how to do appeal to tourist audiences while at the same time
> not trivializing the history.  Does anyone out there have suggestions
> for a speaker?

A couple of suggestions for you.  Karen Ida Peterson of Davidson-Peterson
Associates, York, ME, gives a great (research-based) presentation on making
history more interesting for visitors.

Amy Jordan Webb of the National Trust for Historic Preservation's Heritage
Tourism program gives a good overview of Heritage Tourism and authenic
success stories.

Debbie Geiger from Geiger & Associates gives a motivating talk about how
heritage tourism can be marketed in an authentic and sensitive manner to
visitors.

Also, there is a heritage tourism discussion group which has about 120 or so
participants right now.  Not as active as Museum-L but good threads when
items are posted.  I'll post  this to the list.
Mike Teskey
CommunityFirst! Partners
2088 Jasmine Street
Denver, CO 80207