From:
Wesley Creel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 10:58:58 -0600
Good Morning Maria,
The Pink Palace Family of Museums is a partnership between the Division of Park Services and the Memphis Museums Inc. (MMI) a not-for-profit corporation with 501c3 tax-exempt status.  Please see our website www.memphismuseums.org and please don't hesitate to contact me for details.  The buildings are owned and maintained by the City,  the collections are owned by MMI, the staff are city employees (some are City funded, civil service the others are "grant funded" by MMI, there are several ways the revenues are divided between the City and MMI (too complicated to explain by e-mail).  The bottom-line is that for all practical purposes the $6+million operational budget is a 50/50 split.  It is a good relationship and it works.
Give me a call.
Wesley Creel, Administrator of Programs and Interim Director of Museums
Pink Palace Family of Museums
3050 Central Ave.
Memphis, TN 38111
office telephone: 901.320.6370
office e-mail:   [log in to unmask]

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/31/01 05:01PM >>>
We are a county agency that oversees arts and cultural policy in Fulton
County (Atlanta), Georgia. We are initiating a planning process that requires
us to collect information on county museums, particularly those in urban
areas comparable to ours.

I am looking for examples of the following to begin our research (which will
look at governance, funding mechanisms, role of the public sector in the
museum, etc.):

1. County or city-owned and operated museums (where buildings, collections
and staff are funded by the municipal government)

2. Museums that are county- or city-owned (buildings, collections) but
operated by a independent nonprofit

3. Independent nonprofit museums that operate through some partnership
agreement with the municipal government

Your help is very much appreciated! Please respond directly to me or share
the info through the list.

María Muñoz-Blanco
Deputy Director
Fulton County Arts Council
141 Pryor St. SW, Suite 2030
Atlanta, GA  30303
(404) 730-5780
Fax: (404) 730-5798
e-mail: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]