From:
Tongariki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 02:52:06 GMT
Because Americans speak a creole of English they find real English
disconcerting, even insulting.  This makes the "English as the Official
Language" goons take on an amusing veneer of irony in spite of their
elitest pretensions.  And yes, professionals do follow rules, Strunk and
White have codified it neatly as have various manuals of style.  All
graduates of primary school are supposed to have learned the basics and
not ending sentences with prepositions is one of these basics.  Because
one can have a career, even a career as a writer, although one may violate
this basic rule doesn't change the rule.   P. S. My computer name does not
reveal anything about gender whatsoever.  I find your assumptions about my
gender very entertaining.