Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 10:21:04 -0600
     You might want to contact the Holocaust museum in Washinton, D.C.; of
     the photographs that I have seen of their exhibits, they appear to use
     many shocking images.

     Joseph M. Reed

Subject: Controversial images
Author:  Joanne Quinton-Tulloch <[log in to unmask]> at IMA
Date:    3/5/98 4:12 PM

Has anyone had any experience of, or know of any research done on the use
of controversial or shocking images in exhibitions?

We are considering the use of large, controversial, maybe shocking images
as a hook into exhibitions about contemporary science. There is however the
possibility that the disgust/horror they might invoke could have the
opposite effect, and drive our visitors, especially family audiences away.
I'd welcome any thoughts, comments or direct experience anyone has of this.

Many thanks
Jo

Jo Quinton-Tulloch                              Tel: 0171 938 8098
Wellcome Wing Exhibition Development Group      Fax: 0171 938 9775
Science Museum
London  SW7 2DD