From:
Johan Oomen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 17:40:04 +0200
Dear friends,

Business planning/business modeling is something of vital importance to
secure future funding...

Personally, I find the ³business model canvas² as developed by Alexander
Osterwalder a helpful framework for think about developing future services.
We¹ve written an article (title: ŒUnlocking Value of audiovisual heritage¹)
for the 2009 Museums and the Web Conference that provides a brief
description of how this model can be applied.

The paper:
http://bit.ly/cIuzt

The slides:
http://bit.ly/Ja26o

Osterwalder's blog:
http://business-model-design.blogspot.com/

It would be good of others would share there experiences over the list.

All the best from Amsterdam,
Johan Oomen
Head of R&D
Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision

>From the introduction: ³Digitization is a driver to establish new services.
Distribution over networks, interoperability with other collections and flexible
integration in other environments are just a few of many properties in this new
era of enormous potential for audiovisual archives. Therefore, large-scale
digitization efforts do not only ensure long-term access, but also have the
potential to reveal the social and economic value of the collections. This paper
will focus on the latter: the types of services that can be created as a result
of large-scale digitization efforts and the social and economical benefits they
bring. Value creation is a key notion, as it determines the factors that
legitimize (and determine the level of) investments by the government and
funding programs. The case of Images for the Future is exemplary: cultural
heritage organizations around the globe are currently reinventing their business
propositions.³