From:
"Ross Weeks Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 23:14:27 -0500
The clear bulbs with filament were regularly used up into the 1950s and I
can find them at my local Lowe's (a regional mega-hardware chain) for that
"old fashioned look."  But the bulbs of the 1890s probably bore no
resemblance to the ones of more modern times--for one thing, they flickered
because the public's electrical current was of a lower cycle than we enjoy
now (does 60 cycle sound right) and of course the wattage was much lower,
and so they were fairly dim.

Try your closest major retailer of home lighting equipment.  At home we
have glaring filament types (but they are round) in the bathrooms.