From:
Eric Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 12:15:44 -0400
MS201: Storage for Infinity: An Overview of Museum Storage Principles
Instructor: Helen Alten
Dates: April 13 through May 23, 2008
Price: $425
Location: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms201.html

Storage for Infinity covers everything you need to know to limit damage to
stored collections. Participants will learn about building new storage areas and
retrofitting existing space. Other topics include constructing support mounts,
security and drafting proposals to fund storage improvements. The material
emphasizes philosophy and planning, handling, materials and techniques.

Course Outline:
1. Introduction
2. Storage Philosophy
3. Agents of Deterioration and Preservation Planning
4. Storage Facilities
5. Storage Furniture
6. Preparing Collections for Storage
7. Storage Materials
8. Storage Mounts
9. Storage of Specific Collections
10. Funding Improvements
11. Conclusion

Logistics:
Participants in Storage for Infinity work at their own pace through 11 sections.
Instructor Helen Alten is available at scheduled times during the course for
email support. Materials include PowerPoint lectures, reading materials and
lecture notes. Supporting resources include message forums, weekly online
chats projects, quizzes and links to relevant web sites. The course is limited to
20 participants.

Storage for Infinity runs six weeks. Please sign up at
http://www.museumclasses.org and pay at
http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html If you have trouble with either,
please contact Helen Alten at [log in to unmask]

Student Comments from MS201: Storage for Infinity: An Overview of Museum
Storage Principles:
"My first online class. I plan to do more." - Student in MS201

"I am so glad that you offered this course. I found it very beneficial." -
Student in MS201

"The most valuable part of the class will be the reference book I compiled with
all the lectures, forums, assignments, additional readings, etc. This class
contained a staggering amount of information … Something like this is much
more accessible, no travel expenses or 'lost' work time." - Student in MS201

" The layout of the web site made perfect sense to me. The flow of it was
easy to follow and it was nice to be able to see what things had
transpired/been posted." - Student in MS201

"You seem very approachable and knowledgeable, Helen. This was a good
opportunity for meeting new colleagues and networking." - Student in MS201

"You could not have decided to offer a course any more relevant to the
precise issues that our institution is currently dealing with. Tons of detailed
info. and a lot of practical help that will actually be useful in daily operations." -
 Student in MS201

"This was my first online class and I believe that it was quite a success thanks
to the organization that was provided by yourselves. I did not know what to
expect but both of you have surely set a very high standard of excellence in
online courses." - Student in MS201

The Instructor:
Helen Alten, Conservator and owner of Northern States Conservation Center,
St. Paul, MN has been a Field Education Director, Conservator, and trainer
since 1986. Ms. Alten received her conservation diploma from Archaeological
Conservation and Materials Science, Institute of Archaeology, University of
London in 1986. She began working with people from small, rural, and tribal
museums while as the state conservator for Montana and Alaska. Helen
currently conducts conservation treatments and operates a conservation
center in St. Paul, MN.