Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 14:49:59 +0000
British Museum to keep free entry
(Sunday Times London)

                  by John Harlow
                Arts Correspondent

 A THREAT by the British Museum to introduce charges to stave
 off mounting debts was withdrawn yesterday.

 Directors, however, refused to deny that they received an
 11th-hour promise of more government aid next year. They said
 only that they would try to avoid entry charges by better
 housekeeping.

 If the Department of Culture, Media and Sport is giving more to
 the 250-year-old museum, which it would have to reveal this week when
 it publishes its £900m spending plans, there will be protests from
 charging museums such as the Victoria and Albert, which are fearing a
 3% grant cut.

 Chris Smith, the culture secretary, speaking at last week's Turner
 prize ceremony, confirmed his personal commitment to free access to
 Britain's greatest treasures. But he may have been overruled by Peter
 Mandelson, minister without portfolio, who was called in last week to
 "advise" Smith on handling the public relations headache. "Mandelson
 may have robbed Peter to pay Paul," said a political source.

 The directors of the free museums applauded the British
 Museum's decision. Neil MacGregor, director of the National
 Gallery and the most influential spokesman against charging, said:
 "The trustees and Chris Smith are to be congratulated: the tradition
 of free entry is the cornerstone of any policy to extend access to
 the public's collections, and a powerhouse to aid our nation's
 education and pleasures."

 David Barrie, director of the National Art Collections Fund, a
 campaign body for increased access, said: "It is a great relief, but
 we must look to the government to find a long-term solution to the
 funding problems at our great museums."

Museum Security Network
http://museum-security.org/
http://www.xs4all.nl/~securma/