From:
Randy Little <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:51:37 -0800
Download title17 here
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

Read starting on the lower part of page 18 sec 107 and sec 108.   I
think you can basically tell BMI to go shove it.   Unless of coures
your musuem is not an educational institution and for profit.    I am
pasting sec 107 sec 108 is long and is about libraries.

18 Copyright Law of the United States
§ 107 · Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use³⁸
Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use
of a copy-
righted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or
by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as
criticism, com-
ment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use),
scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining
whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors
to be considered shall include—
(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a
commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copy-
righted work as a whole; and
(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copy-
righted work.

Subject Matter and Scope of Copyright
The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of
fair use if
such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.
§ 108

--
Randy S. Little
http://reel.rslittle.com