From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:15:21 -0800
Pittsburgh's original Buhl Planetarium and Institute
of Popular Science [1939-1991] had a very, very
popular seasonal exhibit, the Miniature Railroad and
Village:
< http://buhlplanetarium3.tripod.com/MiniRR.htm >.

This exhibit was displayed each November through
February, and there were often waiting lines of one
hour or more during the busy holidays and sometimes on
weekends. So, one year in the mid-1980s, they tried
using timed tickets for "hourly shows" of the
Miniature Railroad.

Well, it was a disaster! A certain number of people
were scheduled for an "hourly show," and the  result
was that they could not move around the platform,
since there were so many people there.

Had the timed tickets been "staged," i.e. timed for
15-minute intervals when they would be scheduled only
to *enter* the gallery [not for an "hourly show"], it
might have worked better.

gaw