From:
Patricia Altomare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 1995 15:47:22 -0400
Regarding Joshua Heuman's message about designing museum education
programs for children that are fun and less lecture-oriented---
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, N.Y.C., has one of the most exciting
museum education programs I have seen.  As a junior high school
teacher, I have participated in many of their courses in training
teachers to motivate students in the classroom about particular museum
exhibits.  Their education staff at the Met is aware of the problem
of lecture-only tours for children, and focus on developing a
lifelong love of museums for children.  You must follow Penny Prodow
and her young students on Friday evenings to know what a
serendiptous experience the children are having while they are
learning about the treasures at the Met.
Patricia Altomare
NYU, Museum Studies Program