From:
Kathy Haas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:06:03 -0400
I would be a bit wary of having staff transfer content, since each type of
device has its own quirks about how content is loaded and synced. In
addition, many front desk staff (at least in our museum) are older and are
not as tech-savvy. Having a designated "download" station in the museum is a
neat idea, although people may not always have the right cables with them.

We encourage folks to download our MP3 tour to their personal devices via
our website, but there are still people who do not have MP3 players or do
not have them at hand, so we think it makes sense to have some in-house to
loan out.

We have not had any issues of loss/theft--we require a driver's license as
collateral and have the player on a neck lanyard, so they don't end up in
people's pockets by mistake. Have other institutions had problems?

Kathy

Katherine Haas
Curatorial Assistant
Rosenbach Museum & Library