Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 00:26:45 -0500
To Meredith and others--

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but The University of the Arts here in Philadelphia has one of the only book arts programs in the country.  However, tuition can be quite high, and you may have to be a matriculated student to take courses.  I'm not sure about that, however.

Another possibility (if you are very serious and would like to continue studies when you are done) is a certificate program at the University of Iowa Center for the Book.  It is a year-long program and accepts only three or four students per year.  The University of Iowa is a state
school--therefore tuition is not too high.  Having taken courses from both programs, I highly recommend the one at Iowa, especially if you are interested in the conservation of paper.  Tim Barrett, who is one of the few paper making gurus in this country, teaches both traditional
Western and Japanese paper making there.  He emphasizes a holistic approach and encourages his students to gather and process their own fibers if possible.   He is also conducting some interesting research on the role of gelatin sizing in the life of paper.  Lynn Amlie runs the
paper facility there, where handmade paper is produced using time honored methods and fibers.  However, she has also been experimenting with new fibers and methods within the rigors of tradition.  Recently, they have developed a new way of making 100% rag paper that is pure white
without using any chemicals--it is being used to line the new cases for the Constitution. At any rate, if you are a student there, you can usually get a graduate assistantship working in the Paper Facility.

The program also provides many other options concerning book studies, including binding courses and history/theory.  If you would like to learn more about this program, the web site is:
http://www.uiowa.edu/~ctrbook/

Good luck!

Sarah Kirk

Graduate Student, Museum Education
The University of the Arts

I am an arts administration graduate student in Philadelphia interested in