From:
Richard de Koster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 21:15:19 -0400
I don't think this is very different from the "corporate" or retail sector.
The easiest way to convince your board, etc. is to "grow" your institutional
base.  Increasing attendance, funding, contributions, etc.  Alternatively,
you can ask your responsible parties to "imagine" a community without
cultural resources (I don't have much faith in this path).  The other side
of the coin is: I am not sure "growing" an institution is productive.  We've
had 25 years of this consolidation in the "real world" to the detriment of
diversity.  For example, fast food franchises replacing the local bistro.
At any rate, the work has to be done BEFORE we see an increase.  Even then
people are very practical and may not give you the raise you deserve.
Still, growing the pie is the surest bet.

Richard de Koster
Executive Director
Constitution Island Association
West Point, New York