From:
Dick Rodstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:17:21 -0800
Fischl just doesn't get it.

>so of course the response of ''Get this out of here,
you can't feel this'' > or ''You can't make us feel
this way'' was incredibly hurtful.

No, people said, you can't make us feel that way HERE.

> I hate this idea that there are some people who have
a right to
> express their suffering and others who don't, that
there are those in
> this hierarchy of pain who own it more than you do.

No, the idea is that people who work in that
skyscraper you see at the opening of Tom Brokaw's NBC
Nightly News, who rightly feel themselves to be a
possible next target, shouldn't be forced to deal with
that threat every day.

> It's not about necessarily witnessing firsthand that
makes the
> experience. Picasso wasn't at Guernica when it
happened;
> Goya wasn't there on the firing line. This is what a
> culture looks to art for, to put image, or voice, or
> context to a way of rethinking, reseeing,
re-experiencing.

> Q When ''Guernica'' was first exhibited, I don't
think
> people felt Picasso wasn't entitled to paint it.

> Yeah, I think this is a new turn, for the worse.
Right now
> we're shrinking away from truth.

More self-pitying, self-aggrandizing pap. A bigger
martyr to Philistinism than Picasso? Wait'll I tell
Mom!

As an artist, Fischl is fully entitled to explore his
reaction to 9/11. There are places for that. We call
them galleries and museums. Thems that wish to explore
with him may do so. Many other artists have similarly
examined 9/11 and any number of other horrors. Where
Fischl's rights stop is when he forces his artistic
exploration on a grievously wounded general public. As
a member of the community, as a neighbor, he has no
right to hurt people further who have already been
hurt.

It'd be nice if someone could tell Fischl this, but
his Saint Sebastian act is a tough thing to interrupt.

Love from the Big Apple,
Dick Rodstein

=====
Dick Rodstein
Voiceovers - Local, National, International
Audio files delivered over the Internet - wav, mp3, etc.
Website: http://www.dickrodstein.com/vo.html
Email: [log in to unmask]
Snailmail: PMB D-22, 332 Bleecker Street, New York, NY 10014
Telephone: (917) 414-5172